Monday, July 22, 2013

Study

     Here is something that will really help you in your studies throughout the year.
     During the summer, keep learning.  I know, you want a break from all your school/homeschool work.  (You're lucky.  I keep working during the summer.)  I'm not saying to work as hard as during the winter; just brush through your work.
     The first lesson in my pre-algebra book is about addition and subtraction.  The next is about multiplication.  Division doesn't come until several lessons later (and even then it teaches remainders, not decimals, until several more lessons are passed).  I should expect that division is in the first review lesson at the beginning of the book, but no, it's not.  It's several lessons in.
     I was surprised by this, since I never take long breaks during the summer.  After all, it is made for eighth grade.  Eighth graders should know division, right?  However, I was told that people really do forget a lot during the summer.  Not quite that much, but having such ridiculously easy lessons is necessary so people are all on the same page.
     So what I'm saying is that you should just practice your work once or twice a week so you don't forget a lot when school/your homeschool work begins again.  That way, for the first several weeks of school, you will be brushing through your work and you will eventually turn out a lot smarter than if you didn't.
     I hope it works out for you.  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment