Thursday, November 10, 2011

Holidays, Holidays

Thanksgiving. Christmas. Easter. The three most celebrated holidays in the U.S.A. Of course, they are true "Holidays," since the the word "Holiday" comes from the words "Holy Day." However, many people have no idea that Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving are Christian holidays. If they do know it, then they don't show it.
For everyone who is a Christian, we know what the holidays are about: Thanksgiving for thanking God for our many, many blessings, Christmas for celebrating the coming to earth of out Savior, Jesus Christ, and Easter for rejoicing the resurrection of Jesus and the ultimate victory over evil. But how much do we include the true reasons in our celebrations of the holidays? Is football intruding too much on Thanksgiving? The merriness and presents too much on Christmas? The egg hunts and candy intrude too much on Easter? How much are you letting those things upset your worship and praise? I'm not saying that football is bad, I think that it's rather pointless, but I have nothing against it. Presents, egg hunts, and candy aren't necessarily bad; they can be bad if you let them get in the way. Being merry isn't bad, but shouldn't we be joyful on Christmas?
I want people to comment, telling how much they really think about the real reason for the holidays. You might be surprised at how little that we think about the true meanings of the holidays, and that's something that we need to change.
Thanks-Marie

4 comments:

  1. football is not pointless. Don't forget I still have administrative powers over this blog.
    Don't worry folks I just like to give her a hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, people, but somehow some of the words got pushed around. I don't know how it happend, but I suspect that The Big One, GS had something to do with it, since there were a few new words as well as some of the words jumped around (again, it just won't stop that when I edit things), and I'm not sure what those words are, since I don't keep words that I don't know the meaning of, and I can safely say that I do not know the meaning of those words. Sorry again.
    -Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, people, I don't know what happend, but GS did NOT do it, I guess that something must have happend to it when I posted it. I had assumed that The Big One, GS was defending football. And thosewords, I think that I might have done them accidently when I was highlighting some thing, and I dragged them around, but I don't know. Teribbly sorry for any and all inconveinence.
    -Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may love football and may be jellous about the sucess the Blog is having under Marie whosuceeded me but I am not a hacker.
    The Big One
    GS
    Ok just kidding about the Jellous part

    ReplyDelete